While it is important to keep active and exercise at any age, seniors, in particular, need to find gentle activities that promote their wellbeing both physically and mentally, while not overextending themselves.
Our residents are enjoying the warm summer months in the Serene Living pool whether it be for a quick dip, laps or participating in a group activity.
Water-based exercise programs like our aqua aerobics classes offer a multitude of unique benefits to participants and provide a change of pace and alternative to land-based workouts.
The water also provides a great option for those wishing to exercise who are nervous about having a fall, due to poor balance and/or coordination.
As an exercise modality, the water allows a full low impact work out with all of the benefits of a more high impact activity while relieving stress and anxiety.
Benefits of Aqua Aerobics:
- Low Impact – The buoyancy of the water makes you feel about 90% lighter, removing weight from bones and relieving joint pressure, particularly the knees, hips, back, ankles and forms of arthritis
- Builds Cardio Strength and Resistance – The combination of strength and cardio mixed with water resistance gently builds muscle mass. This is most beneficial as water resistance can be 4 to 42 times greater than that in air
- Weight Loss and Maintenance – Can increase metabolism with the ability to burn around 400 to 500 calories in a one-hour aqua aerobics session
- Reduces Risk Of Injury and Chronic Conditions – Water-based programs aid in allowing participants a full range of supported movement which would otherwise be limited on land, and offers a safer, supportive alternative for those with bone frailty or balance issues
- Increases Flexibility and Endurance – During aqua aerobics, the joints naturally increase their range of motion increasing flexibility and endurance.
- Social Interaction – Group activities encourage participants to commit to their new routine, and interact with others.
Anyone who is considering starting a new exercise activity should consult with their medical practitioner prior to commencing.
Serene residents, if you would like to participate in our Aqua Aerobics class, please come and see Sharon at the Serene Pool – Tuesday 10.30am and/or Thursday at 8.30am.
Follow Serene Retirement Living on Social Media for all the latest information and links to our informative blogs, competitions and all of the fun ‘Serene Scene’ photos and adventures:
If you would like to find out more about Stage 2 at Serene Living, please contact us today.
You can speak with our Sales Manager Rebecca on (07) 5536 6820, or enquire online.