Everything we love about breakfast, rolled into one tasty pie. What more could we want? Perfect for Dad for Father’s Day!
- 1/2 cup (125ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp each dried chilli flakes, smoked paprika (pimenton), freshly ground black pepper, ground allspice, ground cumin & ground turmeric
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 50g brown sugar
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 100g coarsely grated cheddar
- 8 bacon rashers, cut into 12cm pieces
- 1/2 cup (125ml) maple syrup
- Tomato sauce, to serve
- 2 cups (300g) plain flour, plus extra to dust
- For the pastry, place flour and a large pinch of salt in a bowl. Add butter and rub into flour, leaving some larger pieces. Gradually add 100ml iced water and gently knead to form a dough. Enclose in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
- To make the baked beans, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add spices and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes, then add tomato paste and cook for a further 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add vinegar and sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat to medium-high and cook until liquid is reduced slightly. Add tomato and beans, bring to boil and cook for 10-15 minutes or until thickened.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place pie tins on a baking tray. Line pastry cases with baking paper and fill with pastry weights. Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden. Remove weights and paper, and bake for a further 10 minutes or until golden and dry.
- Combine 2 cups (600g) baked beans in a bowl with egg and cheese (remaining beans can be stored, frozen, for up to 3 months). Divide bean mixture among pastry cases. Top with bacon and brush with maple syrup.
- Return to oven and bake for 25 minutes, basting twice with maple syrup, or until golden and caramelised
- Cool slightly before serving with tomato sauce.
Recipe Courtesy Of: https://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/breakfastpies/bTEmCvtm?r=recipes/collections/4a6pwzoy
FOLLOW SERENE ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
Serene Retirement Living provides everything an active over 55 could possibly desire – see our retirement living features & amenities.