BRATWURST AND SAUERKRAUT
Juicy bratwurst simmering in tangy sauerkraut, sweet apples, onions, and broth is an easy and flavorful way to enjoy this German sausage.
- 1yellow onion
- 2cloves garlic
- 1Tbsp cooking oil
- 19 bratwurst (5 links)
- 24 sauerkraut
- 1/4tsp caraway seeds (optional)
- 1/4tsp paprika
- 1/4tsp freshly cracked pepper
- 1cup chicken broth
- Slice the onion and the apple, and mince the garlic.
- Add the cooking oil to a large deep skillet or wide pot. Heat over medium. When the pan and oil are hot, add the bratwurst. Cook on each side until well browned (it does not need to be cooked through at this point). Remove the browned bratwurst to a clean plate.
- Add the sliced onions, apples, and garlic to the pan and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft.
- Drain the sauerkraut and add it to the skillet, along with the caraway seeds, paprika, pepper, and chicken broth. Stir to combine with the apples and onions. Nestle the browned bratwurst down into the sauerkraut.
- Place a lid on the pan and allow the broth to come up to a simmer. Lower the heat slightly and continue to simmer the bratwurst in the sauerkraut and broth for 20 minutes, or until the bratwurst is cooked through. Serve hot.
Recipe Courtesy Of: https://www.budgetbytes.com/bratwurst-and-sauerkraut/
FOLLOW SERENE ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
Serene Retirement Living provides everything an active over 55 could possibly desire – see our retirement living features & amenities.