‘Our Reasons For Coming To Serene’
In November 2020 we were forced into resolving our personal situation. Georgina had just been diagnosed with Short Term Memory Loss, Doug had been diagnosed with a second Spine Stenosis and was scheduled for his second Spinal Laminectomy on his lower back. This was a wakeup call they could not ignore. Living in a four bedroom house on a steeply sloping, 1000 square block, it was obvious they were going to have to either bring in house cleaners and gardeners on a permanent scale, or dramatically downsize.
When looking at the long term worst case that could arise would be, Georgina in Care and Doug living in a large house, on his own, remote from her care facility, with a large property going into decline from lack of attention.
With these facts in mind, the decision was made to downsize now, or it would become more difficult to achieve as they grew older.
They set about finding a new abode which had to satisfy 10 criteria:
- Had to be within easy reach of their daughters
- Had to be close to shopping
- There was a need to be close to medical services
- It had to be of the same or better quality than their present living standards
- They had no desire to live under an aircraft flight path
- The area had to be established
- They love children, but did not want to be living in an area full of growing children
- The unit / house needed to be secure
- It was preferred that management lived on the premises
- If they went into group living, rates, insurance and general upkeep were provided by the management
They first had to decide which area/town they would prefer, and which was the most elderly friendly. Doug wanted to live at Ballina, Georgina thought it was too far from their closest daughter at Burringbar, so after consultation with both of their daughters, the proximity to John Flynn Hospital, and Coolangatta Airport swayed the decision to the Tweed.
They looked at dozens of properties between Pottsville and Tweed, and Serene was the only place that fitted all of the requirements.
FOLLOW SERENE ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
Serene Retirement Living provides everything an active over 55 could possibly desire – see our retirement living features & amenities.